Tuesday 13 February 2018

11th February - Titchfield, Mercer Way Romsey and Alresford, Hampshire

What a difference a day makes, this morning gone are the low grey clouds and persistent rain, and in their place was blue sky plenty of sunshine and a stiff breeze.  I was able to get out late in the morning and I wanted to take the opportunity to pick up a few more easy year ticks, and to return to look for a bird I caught up with in January.  One of those birds that you can't get enough of when they show so well.

My first stop was the Titchfield Canal path, on a cold clear dry sunny day the walk is popular and the car park was al;most full as I turned in.  We walked the path back in late December and it was very muddy just after the Posbrook Floods, and I had no intention of walking beyond there.  I was here for the split tree and its inhabitants, a very easy year tick.  As I walked down the path I passed a man spinning the high murky water for trout.

I reached the point on the path, and turned to view the tree, and right on cue there was one Barn Owl visible. I couldn't see the other despite changing the angle.  The one in view lifted its head every so often, but that was the limit of movement.


Rather than turn back on achieving my objective I walk on, the path being quite sturdy here with no threat of mud.  I could see plenty of wildfowl and gulls on the floods, with Canada Geese and Black-tailed Godwits feeding on the grass.  In the trees by the path were Long-tailed Tits, Blue and Great Tits and several Goldcrests.  The lichen appeared to be of interest to Goldcrests, and they would move along the branch pushing their needle sharp bill into the folds of the lichen.


I turned back, and as I did so all the birds on the floods went up in a maelstrom of wing beats and calls.  The honks of the geese, the whistles of the Wigeon, and the rush of the wing beats as they all sought safety from what had spooked them.


Back at the split tree the single owl looked out across the field.  I didn't stop though, and made my way to the car, job done, time to move on.

My next destination was Mercer Row, Romsey, I had been here in January for the Hawfinches when the weather was very similar, I wanted another chance to photograph this beautiful finch.  Mercer Row is a regular site for these birds during the winter mainly due to the proliferate number of cherry trees growing there on the small recreation ground.  There are clumps of trees and puddles created in the mud to which all the birds come to drink.  The Hawfinches are here for the fallen cherry stones, not something you see out on the ground, but tucked away within the leaf litter.  Interestingly when I cleaned my boots that evening I found two wedged into the grip on the soles of my boot.

I found my way to the edge of one of the copses where there were two large puddles in the sunshine.  Around me I could hear Starlings calling, Redwings in the trees above and every so often the plain piping of a Bullfinch.

The first bird to come to the water was a Collared Dove, another of those birds that gets overlooked.


Then a Hawfinch appeared at the back of the path, too far away to photograph, but good confirmation that they were about and that they still used the water.  Movement in the branches turned out to be more Hawfinch, and I was able to watch one through the branches in the darkness of the trees.

I get restless, and can't stay still too long, and walked around the trees to find a male on the grass only for it to fly off.  I could now clearly here them calling a strong "tic tic"call, similar to the alarm call of a Robin, but more distinct, with perhaps more emphasis on a "pix" sound.. 

I returned to the puddles and waited, it didn't take long for one to come down for a drink.



A male with the black eyeliner and bib.



Then a female, lacking the defined black markings around the eye and throat.



Then two males together




And then another two males, so far at least four birds, maybe five.




Then everything went quiet for a while, and I decided to wander around the park.  Moving away from the puddles I could hear calls from within the branches and located one bird. in amongst the branches.



As I walked back a flock of six birds flew over my head and headed to the south, so now the count was up to eleven maybe twelve.

I walked back to the puddles, and I could hear the tick calls from within the trees so I was satisfied the birds I had seen earlier were still about.  Inbetween the calls were snippets of song, although it was very difficult to find the owners.  After waiting a little more another male appeared at the puddle.





The conditions were still not brilliant, and the birds would not come to the larger puddle that was in full sun.

There was another quiet spell, and I went for a walk again. I could see the Hawfinches in the trees but at no time was there a clear view.  Coming back to the puddles I found a different view and watched the House Sparrows that were bathing.



I walked back to my original position and waited again.  The "tic" calls became louder and I found the source, one male out in the open, but in a dark part off the bushes.



Then a female came down to the puddle, instead of drinking she plunged straight in watched by a pair of House Sparrows.



Who decided to join her.





I went off for a walk again, and the calls and song were really quite evident now, the song being a series of "Zih" or Zrrrr" which are strung out.  The song is very quiet but as they were the only birds around making a sound it was easy to hear.  However they have a habit of dissolving into the tree branches and can be very difficult to see as they sit very still.  This one was suddenly highlighted by the sun as it came out.



Then I managed to find a male singing from the top of a tree in the open.



And another a little lower down in competition.



I returned once again to the puddles and waited.  Once again there were plenty of calls and snippets of song, and as these became more intense I noticed that there was a bird close to me in the open, lit up by the sunshine.



There was still the problem of the branches but here the majority of the bird was visible.



At last I had the pictures I wanted in full sunshine.




The winter sunshine shows off a really beautiful bird.



It then went through some wing flapping and stretching.



Before turning to show of the club shaped extensions to the inner primaries.



By now I had taken my fill of photographs and decided to move on, next stop was to be Alresford and the Pinglestone water cress beds.  It was on my way home, and provided the chance of another year tick and maybe one or two more.  I parked at the triangle and walked back to the water cress beds.

Scanning the beds to the north I quickly picked up two very light pipits walking on the concrete walls.  While very distant with the scope I could see that they were Water Pipits.  There was very little streaking on the underparts, with a pale grey upper, and distinct white wing bars.  Much too far away though for anything more than a grey blob record shot.



Scanning the beds some more I came across three Grey Wagtails, unfortunately no closer than the pipits.



There was no sign of the other bird I was after, a Green Sandpiper, so I walked to the viewing place to look out over Alresford pond.  The last time I was here was last March, and the water level then was quite low, today it was full with no sign of any mud at all.



Cormorants were on the trees at the back of the lake, and dotted around the water were Shelduck, Gadwal, Shoveler Tufted Duck and a pair of Pochard.  In a little pool alongside the viewing area there were at least six Tufted Ducks diving.  The water looks black and this provides the ideal background for photographing Tufted Ducks once more.



A Mute Swan was also there and again perfect for a white bird with a lovely reflection.



There have been on and off reports of a Hen Harrier coming into roost and a Barn Owl hunting the reed bed.  I had at least an hour and a half to wait for this, and with squally snow showers around the area I decided to cut my losses and head for home.  Just to make it easier I convinced myself that it was far too windy for a Barn Owl to hunt anyway.

A great day to catch up with the Hawfinch once again, I think I have now satisfied that need.

No comments:

Post a Comment